Why Georgia Overland?

In a word, Connectivity. I wish to find all open and legal, unpaved roads in Georgia. The goal is to create a network of dirt, gravel or unimproved roads and trails across Georgia. My focus is on North Georgia, though the project is open to any roads in the state that meet the criteria, and will likely include portions of NW South Carolina, SW North Carolina, SE Tennessee and NE Alabama. If you have a favorite legal trail, track or route you wish to share, and you have no reservations offering it up freely to the world, send an email my way.

Enjoy the journey,

David
David@georgiaoverland.com


Friday, April 9, 2010

West Wolf Creek Road to Georgia Highway 60

This collection of roads is a small section we travelled during a multi-day trip in Summer 2009. At the time, we only collected a few key waypoints as we crossed North Georgia.  The route begins at the junction of West Wolf Creek Road and Highway 19 / State Route 180 / Gainesville Highway.  The route ends to the west, at the junction of Cooper Creek Road and Highway 60. We did not collect all of the road junctions and did not focus on potential campsites, trails, etc. as I have included in early posts. Using Bing Maps' imagery and NAVTEQ streetbase, I digitized the road network from waypoint to waypoint. As a result, my comparatively crude digitized linework does not line up perfectly with the typical (accurate) commercial streetbases.

Download the West Wolf Creek Road to Highway 60.kmz  file.

View the West Wolf Creek Road to Highway 60.kmz file in Google Maps.

3 comments:

  1. I'm somewhat familiar with that area. I've camped there several times over the last 10 yrs. I was very excited to find your map.

    I do have a couple of questions:

    What would the distance be from start to finish?

    If I just wanted to drive through and do some site seeing with a few "rest" stops how long do you think it would take? My family is still a bit young (3yr and 6mo) for camping, but would enjoy the sites and finding animals.

    Finally, from reading your posts it would seem my vehicle would make the trip, but would you confirm? It's a stock Liberty CRD with AT's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mike,

    Thank you for the comment. I don't think you would have any trouble at all, but I would avoid the Big Grassy Knob section as:

    -I don't know if it is open
    -It did contain a section you may have trouble with.

    Most of the (open) road surface, at least when I was there last summer, was in very good shape. West Wolf Creek Rd should be fine in a car. I recall a very short section on Duncan Ridge Rd, near the junction with SR180, that was a little bumpy but I think most 2wd cars would be fine on it.

    Your Liberty should have no problems out there, provided it doesn't rain, get too muddy and defeat the AT's you have. Your 3yr should enjoy it, but some sections may bounce the 6mo around a little. Drive slow :)

    I'm guessing here, but if you followed the W. Wolf Creek and Duncan Ridge Rd. route you could expect it to take a few (3?) hours to drive. I did not have a good map of the Coopers Creek WMA/ Duncan Ridge Rd. area and found it a bit difficult to confidently navigate the area. I recall a number of unmarked intersections that made it challenging to follow one road. As you can see, Google Maps does a poor job of representing the road network in this particular area.

    Print this off and take it with you, it may help:
    http://www.sherpaguides.com/georgia/mountains/blue_ridge/eastern/map_cooper_creek_duncan_ridge.html

    I'm not certain on the distance. I did not record it at the time, but will repost once I come up with an estimate.

    Have fun,
    David

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike,

    Excluding the Big Grassy Knob side trip, the remaining route should be very close to 21 miles in length.

    ReplyDelete

Please enter your comments here: